Everything you need to know about Hiring Salesforce Experts in 2020
How to Hire Salesforce Developers, Consultants and administrators in 2020: Salaries, Rates, Tips
Today, Salesforce is used as a synonym to a CRM platform since it is the most popular solution when it comes to CRMs systems. And there are some good reasons for that:
- Salesforce helps increase sales department efficiency and revenue
- Salesforce improves customer service productivity
- Salesforce improves analytical data and reporting
Moreover, Salesforce is provided as a ready-to-use platform. While the solution is integrated with prior adjustments to the needs of a particular business, many features can be customized additionally. Generally, the development and implementation processes are much faster, and costs are significantly lower than for any other solution at the same level.
But to make sure that the solution succeeds, the business needs to have the support and supervision of certified Salesforce developers and consultants. The following are the recommendations on what to keep in mind when hiring consultants and developers for the solution.
What Languages, Frameworks and Tools Salesforce Developers Use
A developer working on Salesforce development and implementation for a business should be familiar with a number of tools, frameworks and languages, in terms of what they are and how to use them.
When thinking of hiring a Salesforce programmer, the knowledge of the following languages, frameworks and tools for the Salesforce app building is to be checked.
- Apex is a proprietary programming language provided similar to Java and C#.
- SOQL is an optimized SQL version to get data from Salesforce databases.
- SOSL is a language to perform text-based searches in Salesforce databases.
- Visualforce is markup language lets developers create custom Salesforce pages with code that looks a lot like HTML.
Salesforce development platforms:
- Customer 360 platform (formerly Lightning Platform)
- Heroku is a cloud platform as a service (PaaS) supporting several programming languages
- Visualforce framework is a UI framework for the creation of reusable interfaces. It is a component of PaaS.
- Aura framework is an open-source UI framework built by Salesforce for developing dynamic web apps for mobile and desktop devices
Tools and API:
- Fuel API is used to create marketing apps.
- Lightning App Builder is a simple tool to create app pages.
- Salesforce mobile SDK is an open-source suite for building HTML5, native and hybrid mobile apps connected to the Salesforce Platform
In general, the most important areas that a Salesforce developer is to cover are Salesforce frameworks, Lightning App Builder, SOQL, Apex, Salesforce APIs.
Hiring Guide: Step by Step
An important thing to do at the beginning of the hiring process is to establish clear expectations about the level of expertise the candidates must have. A good proof of competence is a Salesforce certificate: a candidate having a certificate of consultancy, development, architecture, or implementation is definitely a skillful one.
Considering how to identify whether a person has the needed range of Salesforce developer skills, the main steps are identified below.
1. Check where to Find a Salesforce Developer
Having learned what to focus on in a candidate, it is time to start searching for one. Online communities, freelance websites, and even events are the places where Salesforce developers can be hired. For example, Salesforce specialists meetings vs. conferences take place several times a year, which makes it simple to reach out to specialists or get some recommendations from networking. Here are some of them:
- Dreamforce Conference takes place annually
- Community meetings of Trailblazer are organized almost in all cities
- Facebook Salesforce developers groups
- AppExchange - Developer Marketplace
- Freelance websites (Upwork, Freelancer, Guru and etc.)
Generally, combining several methods of talent sourcing helps extend the list of worthy candidates.
2. Ask a candidate right questions on the interview
If you managed not to get lost in a ton of CVs, selected several people with appropriate experience and skills, and went through test tasks, it’s high time to conduct an interview. The interview is a great opportunity to know your candidate better and give them chances to prove they fit the position. But how to find a middle ground in terms of questions relevancy? What questions should be asked to make sure that you found a perfect match? With Salesforce candidates it may be even harder because of the field complexity. Don’t worry we will help you cover the questions you need to ask a candidate for the Salesforce position in your project. So let’s jump into the details you need to clarify before making a job offer:
1) Check a technical background
Technical knowledge of a Salesforce expert is the fundamental precondition of successful solution implementation. What you should ask the candidate:
- Basic programming knowledge. A candidate should know all about object-oriented programming methods, including data binding, polymorphism, and other areas.
- Salesforce knowledge and skills. Learning about the candidate’s background can help identify his or her strengths and weaknesses to see whether the expert fits the project needs. Previous experience with building code applications, perform testing or participating in it, and conducting code reviews makes the person a promising candidate.
- Project experience. Any experience with building a solution to the one that the candidate is being hired for is an advantage. However, the number of projects completed is not the only thing that matters; the approaches the person used to solve problems and complete tasks are what help evaluate how he or she will perform during the new project.
While investigating candidates’ CVs is essential, a deep study of every person’s professional background is what can reveal the level of one’s expertise.
2) Ask about completed certifications
It goes without saying that a person working with Salesforce should have official proofs of competency that can be achieved through official Salesforce certification. Regardless of the desired solution, the hired specialist is to have a Salesforce certification. There are many kinds of the certificate, and each of them is issued to a specialist with a particular level of knowledge and skills in a specific area. In fact, a Salesforce developer hourly rate directly depends on the certification he or she has.
Here are some common Salesforce certificates:
- Salesforce Administrator - proves the basics of Salesforce administration.
- Salesforce Architect - proves architecture design skills.
- Salesforce Developer - proves the knowledge of app building and development.
- Salesforce Marketing Credentials Certificate - proves expertise in marketing.
- Salesforce Consultant - proves skills in consultancy for all kinds of Salesforce solutions.
Follow these steps to verify your candidate's certification:
- Visit the Trailhead Verification page;
- Enter developer’s email beneath "Verify a Salesforce Certified Professional";
- Click Search, and then click Show Credential;
- The developer’s credential status will be promoted in the popup.
The presence of any of the listed certificates or even several such in one person ensures their ability to show worthy performance in a particular stage of Salesforce solution development and implementation.
3) Don’t forget about the soft skills
Evidently, any developer must know how to code. But it is not enough for successful project completion. The perfect candidate needs to have at least some knowledge of the industry in which the business operates. In addition, such essentials as communication, problem-solving, and decision-making skills definitely add to the candidate’s professionalism.
Salesforce experts Hourly Rates and Salaries
Every specialist charges per hour or monthly fee for full-time work, and the Salesforce entry-level salary will be lower from the one of an expert. Also, some candidates ask for rate above average on the market and have deep knowledge of Salesforce Clouds. Still, depending on the person’s background, the Salesforce developer hourly rate differs.
If the target is to invest as little as possible, hiring a freelancer is the best option. Their rates vary, but it is possible to find somebody who can bill $40 per hour, and $75 per hour can be already the best rate of a good foreign Salesforce developer, which is lower than a starting rate in the US. Of course, working with a freelancer comes with risks, and these risks may end up requiring higher costs as if an experienced specialist was hired from the very start.
Check the certifications and experience of candidates is extremely important in this case since conducting a personal interview would most likely be impossible. Also, feedback from his/her former clients or employers will be helpful.
Local full-time developers
When you consider hiring a person who will help you with Salesforce on a constant basis, it may be a good choice to opt for a local developer. It’s always beneficial to have a person who will always be available to take care of ad-hoc and regular Salesforce tasks. Especially, if you need a person to be available in your office for facilitated communication. However, if you need to have a one-time work done, it is not the best choice. On the bright side, a local staff member is familiar with your Salesforce development plan and knows all the peculiarities of your business needs. Thus, it will be much easier to delegate the regular management to him or her. One more point to consider is the amount of money you are ready to spend. Regular staff members require much more investments in the working place, salary, and other regular expenses.
According to Indeed, the average yearly Salesforce average salary is $116,786. Here’s a list of the states with the highest average annual salaries Salesforce job market 2020:
|State||Average Annual Salesforce Developer Salary|
The Salesforce developer salary in USA should not be applied to every Salesforce specialist: it all depends on the person’s experience, kind of projects he/she has worked on, and their related background. For example, Salesforce consultant hourly rate can be totally different from Salesforce contractor rates. Still, being familiar with the Salesforce developer hourly rate helps you while planning the project budget when hiring a developer.
These numbers do not necessarily mean that any Salesforce specialists earn the same sum as the USA developers. Everything depends on the relevancy of experience such as previous projects. That being said, Salesforce hourly rate for the consultant will not be the same as for the Salesforce contractor. But when you know a median for the main positions, it will be much easier for you to plan the project budget ahead taking into account the salary you are ready to offer to a developer.
Full-time remote developers
While the rates of well-skilled specialists can get quite high, there is an option of getting a developer with the same set of skills and level of qualification for a lower cost - hiring a person in a different country.
If you sign a yearly or a longer-term contract, an off-shore developer hourly rate varies from $35-50. According to the contract conditions, a Salesforce full-time developer will be dedicated solely to your project and work from the outstaffing company office to ensure the stable internet connection and availability. Such a variant allows you to spend 60% less than you would do for a full-time local developer.
Dedicating full-time developer resources will help you to receive a specialist who will know your project and all its peculiarities ensure efficient and productive workflow. This strategy ensures that the dedicated employee delivers the highest level of commitment working solely on your project.
Registered Salesforce Consulting Partners
If you don’t need full-time workers because the workload is not stable, and working with freelancers is too risky for your business, there is still a way out. The optimal solution here would be turn to Salesforce Consulting Partners who have fully equipped teams of experienced staff members to work with Salesforce projects of any complexity.
In this case, Salesforce consulting rates 2020 range from $55 to $130 per hour, regardless of where the specialist is located. The price is reasonable: if the specialist is approved by Salesforce, it means the person is an expert. And a certified employee can even provide solutions of a Salesforce architect level, who would charge a minimum of $200 per hour.
Hiring a Salesforce developer is a long process that requires thorough research, but finding a true expert is crucial to the business. Probably the two most critical areas in the entire process are the cost of development and the type of employee to be hired since they impact each other.
Hiring a freelancer may help cut costs, but the risk of getting a solution that is not well-functioning is always there. At the same time, a registered Salesforce consulting partner ensures that the solution delivers on time. Furthermore, working with a Salesforce registered consulting company provides the service of the entire team of specialists meeting every business need for one flat rate.