MailChimp Salesforce Integration Stepwise
Email marketing experts are confident that personalized emails perform greater than regular campaigns and have better open rates and click-through rates. Not to mention, they help increase sales by providing insight into the brand's customer base. But, to create personalized emails, you need up-to-date data about each client, which is excellently collected by CRM. The combination of MailChimp and Salesforce, two great sales and marketing solutions will allow you to collect data from CRM to send emails, better use your customer base, and optimize your communication systems.
Flagship's cloud-based CRM system and wide enterprise-grade portfolio of Salesforce applications enable you to effectively track and manage the preferences of leads and contacts. Successfully used by over 150,000 customers from all over the world, Salesforce’s CRM builds your sales funnel, creates opportunities to attract leads, and allows you to interact with them on a single 360-degree platform. This is an incredible marketing automation tool thanks to which you can send a few emails, but there is one limitation to it.
If you are running with a version lower than Salesforce Enterprise, the limit for mass mailing is set to 250 emails per day. Meanwhile, the Enterprise version limits you to 500 messages per day, and the Unlimited Edition allows you to send up to 1,000 messages per day.
This limitation creates an obstacle for marketing, especially for those with a large subscriber base. This is where MailChimp comes in.
MailChimp is a popular platform for developing, tracking, and handling email marketing campaigns with over 15 million users. It brings together marketing channels, data, and analytics to manage and communicate with customers. MailChimp provides all the tools you need to create landing pages, emails, sign-up forms, and Facebook and Instagram ads, as well as order notifications, auto-greetings, Google remarketing, and postcards, and automate your work. Also, MailChimp works with web services and e-commerce solutions.
MailChimp offers several plans that give you access to basic templates, seven marketing channels, CRM marketing tools, and tons of other options. MailChimp has a free basic plan to serve 2,000 users on your mailing list and free monthly shipping of 12,000 emails. This makes it the preferred solution for small businesses and startups.
How Will You Benefit From Sync MailChimp And Salesforce?
MailChimp's integration with Salesforce is one of the many ways businesses are now using to ensure a faultless customer experience, manage subscriber activity, and make it easier to sync campaigns and other marketing activities. Here's a quick rundown of why it's worth doing this integration.
Email Personalization And Customer Database Segmentation
The Mailchimp integration makes it easy to segment your customer database based on concrete criteria or interests. Contacts and leads are grouped automatically, and Mailchimp can then send personalized messages to customers in Salesforce based on the audience they choose, without having to manually process them.
Informative And Qualified Email Reports
The integration allows you to get actionable insights on trends in real-time to help you optimize your campaigns regularly.
Additional And Cross-selling Opportunities
You can easily view customer buying and viewing behavior to identify suitable upselling and cross-selling possibilities.
Attracting Leads And Keeping Customers
The integration helps run marketing automation campaigns so that marketers can get personalized information that engages and retains customers. Besides, Salesforce integration with MailChimp often allows sales teams to track customer intent and story. It also helps marketers adjust their strategies to reach more leads.
Integration And Data Synchronization
Built-in Salesforce with MailChimp integration lets you transfer Salesforce contacts to the MailChimp list and view data about MailChimp campaign activity in Salesforce as the data is stored on a cloud platform and can be accessed anywhere, at any time.
Synchronization also opens the door to field mapping, allowing you to efficiently link data from email campaigns and share it with internal teams. The integration also allows scheduled syncing, so you can easily update your leads on your current contact list.
Integrations are effective when they can reduce task execution time and increase productivity. To help you accomplish that, the MailChimp-Salesforce integration enables users to get fast updates across all platforms. This process eliminates the need for teams to work on contacts individually, thus increasing the company’s productivity and minimizing human data errors.
Main Types Of Integration MailChimp And Salesforce
How does Mailchimp integrate with Salesforce, and what needs to be done for this?
Method 1. Integration with AppExchange App
MailChimp has created an integration app for Salesforce which you can download from the Salesforce AppExchange. This free application provides you with many features to make your work more productive.
Query Builder: This tool assists in query your data and stores it to the MailChimp list where you can save campaigners, contacts, leads, and personal accounts.
Snapshot Report: This lets you explore cumulative statistics data coming from MailChimp campaigns and campaign-specific statistics. This feature can also provide you with a complete campaign report.
Hourly sync: This automation feature adds new contacts, campaigners, leads, and accounts based on the criteria you specify, as well as members to your segments and groups.
Campaign Builder: You can use this tool to create your campaign right from MailChimp.
Lead Creation: This feature enables you to directly create Salesforce leads from new MailChimp subscribers and followers.
The MailChimp Integration App:
- Designates Salesforce as the “single source of truth” without the silos of data in both tools;
- Automatically syncs new leads, contacts, and/or campaigners from Salesforce with your MailChimp audience;
- Synchronizes MailChimp subscriber information updates with the Salesforce contact record;
- Will generate new leads in Salesforce on the MailChimp sign-up page.
Method 2. Native Integrations/APIs
The integration of MailChimp and Salesforce CRM can be done either through the app or the API. Although the application is easy to install and configure, it is not as flexible as the API. For seamless integration, the API method requires many custom codes, meaning only a skilled specialist can do this.
Method 3. Integrations With Third-party Tools
The integration with third-party connectors can streamline the process by eliminating annoying errors and data duplication, but will cost you money and the depth of integration will vary from a vendor to another. Each of the third-party tools enables the users to create their integrations, offering a comprehensive variety of triggers and actions. If you want to automatically attach the newest contact to the Salesforce campaign when you get a new subscriber in MailChimp, choose a trigger for that specific action.
Automate.io enables enterprises to connect various SaaS and cloud apps and computerize workflows related to sales, marketing, and other internal processes. Plus, it lets you create simple custom integrations to synchronize data or composite workflows, as well as bots for workflows across hundreds of cloud apps like Google Apps, Hubspot, Trello, Shopify, and Salesforce.
Zapier automatically performs your actions for you, helps automate services that are used daily, and constantly verifies your triggers for new data.
The integration services Workato and Segment also work with MailChimp and Salesforce, although they have not yet been approved by the latter. Third-party apps offer free trials to ensure that the app meets your business needs.
How To Use MailChimp With Salesforce
Here's what you need to know before starting the Salesforce MailChimp integration.
We will look at how the integration goes in the Classic version. It looks different in Salesforce Lightning Experience. However, the functionality will remain the same, no matter which version you are using. The synchronization is supported by Enterprise, Unlimited, Developer, Force.com, Performance, or Professional editions. If you have a Pro account connected, ask your Salesforce account manager to enable API access. The integration will link one Salesforce account to only one MailChimp account, which must have Manager access or higher. To avoid messing up the process, start by trying to conduct it in the sandbox.
Connecting Your Salesforce Account To MailChimp
Phase 1. Install The App Into Your Salesforce
Launch Salesforce to MailChimp integration by installing the app through the AppExchange. To install the package, you need a Salesforce account or registration with Trailblazer.me. If you want to install a Salesforce free trial, sign up and get your login details in your inbox. Once you've got them, return them to the AppExchange to install the package.
- Click on “Get Now.”
- Select “Sign In to AppExchange.”
- Press “Install” in Production\Sandbox.
- On the Confirm Installation information page, select “I have checked and agree to the terms and conditions that are offered,” and then proceed with “Confirm and Install.”
- Enter your Salesforce username and password and press the “Login” button.
- Select "Install for administrator only" (you can install for administrator, for all users, or for specific profiles), and press "Install."
- Approve third-party access in the pop-up window by selecting the option "Yes, grant access to these third-party websites," and then click on "Continue."
Phase 2. MailChimp For Salesforce App Authentication
- Sign in to your Salesforce account.
- Open the drop-down menu of the app launcher and pick “MailChimp for Salesforce.”
- Once you see the Lists tab, open the Synchronization Options drop-down menu to select an option for every audience that is connected. The Keep Activity setting allows you to synchronize different subscriber activity campaign openings, submissions, and clicks. The Synchronize Subscribers Only option synchronizes viewers and group data for subscribers.
- Find the MC Setup tab.
- Click on “Sign In.”
- In the pop-up window, press “OK.”
- Enter your MailChimp login name and password.
Phase 3. Lead Creation
MailChimp makes Salesforce leads from subscribers who are not yet Salesforce leads or contacts. For this:
- Review the box near the "Allow MailChimp to generate leads in Salesforce?" button.
- Pick “I'm Ready to Map Fields.”
- You can skip Lead Generation by leaving the "Allow MailChimp to Create Leads in Salesforce" field blank and proceeding with "I'm Ready to Map Fields."
Phase 4: Map Fields
Now, you should map the Salesforce data fields to map to your MailChimp audience ones and ensure that all your info has synchronized in the right place.
You can map Salesforce fields to make MailChimp audience fields or set up additional fields. To do this:
- Open the drop-down menu under “Salesforce Lead” and “Salesforce Contact Field” to map them to an existing MailChimp field.
- If you don't want to map the field to a MailChimp audience, leave it empty.
- Select "Save" to continue the process.
Note: Premium MailChimp accounts can display up to 80 fields.
If you want to add a new MailChimp audience field:
- Press the “Field Type” menu and select a field type.
- Enter a field name.
- Check the Field required, if needed.
- Press “Add field.”
- Push “Save.”
Allowing Permission Groups
Your next step consists of attributing the right permissions to the users of the Salesforce account. There are two sets of permissions:
MailChimp Users - with the ability to view MailChimp data in Salesforce.
MailChimp Admins - with the ability to view data and use the Query Builder.
MailChimp data can take up a lot of space, and if you exceed your Salesforce data limits, some functionalities may malfunction. To avoid this, users must determine what to sync with their MailChimp audiences. You can choose to only sync subscribers from a specific audience or even limit for how long MailChimp's activity is kept in Salesforce.
- Open the MC setup page.
- On the Lists tab, search for the Synchronization Options drop-down menu and select an option for each connected audience. The Keep Activity setting syncs subscribers' activities, such as clicks, submissions, and campaign openings. Meanwhile, the Sync Subscribers Only option syncs audience and group data for subscribers.
- Save the changes.
Phase 5. Enabling Data Synchronization
- Select “Data Sync” in the Settings tab, so that MailChimp and Salesforce can chat and exchange data regularly. There is also an option under the settings tab to "Allow MailChimp to generate leads in Salesforce." Enable this feature if needed.
- Click on “Sync Options” -> Select “Subscriber-Only Sync.” The Keep Activity options will sync subscribers' actions, such as campaign opening, clicks, and submissions.
You can also allow MailChimp to generate new leads in Salesforce. To do so:
- Select "Settings" -> "Data Synchronization"
- If you want to create new Salesforce leads from MailChimp subscribers, click on “MailChimp to make leads in Salesforce.”
Once your data sync is enabled, MailChimp audience information, such as newly added segments and new subscribers, will be pushed to Salesforce every hour. MailChimp campaign activity, including open and click rates, will be updated daily. For campaign activity information to be sent to Salesforce, your audience must be set to “Keep Activity” in your sync preferences.
Data Sync Status
The initial data sync can sometimes take several hours, especially if you have a large audience on MailChimp. To monitor the status of your data sync, go to the Monitor section of your Salesforce account and view “Scheduled Tasks or Apex.”
Customize The Salesforce Integration
After successfully completing and setting up the Salesforce integration, you need to customize the app to represent MailChimp’s data in Salesforce and give access to your team.
Customizing your page layouts
- Log in to your Salesforce account.
- Press “Setup” in the navigation panel.
- Choose “Build” and push to “Customize.”
- Press the arrow next to Leads or Contacts.
- Choose your Page Layouts.
- Customize your contact layout.
- Pull components from the Buttons, Fields, and Visualforce Pages sections, and drop them into areas of your Contact Layout.
- To add components to your Contact Layout, select “Edit” next to “Contact Layout.”
- Press “Visualforce Pages” in the left panel.
- Open Visualforce options.
- In the Contact Detail section, pull all Membership Contact and Save.
Customizing Your Lead Layouts
- To add components to your Lead Layout, open Page Layouts.
- Press “Edit” into Lead Layout.
- Choose “Visualforce Pages.”
- Open the Visualforce option.
- Pull all Membership Lead in the Lead Detail.
- Press “Save.”
Note: Subscriptions Contacts and Subscribers Contacts are not recommended for Visualforce components.
MailChimp Salesforce Campaign Integration
Marketing campaigns play a vital role in promoting a product to customers. When a campaign is created in Salesforce and synced with MailChimp, it creates a group of campaign participants. However, when any MailChimp email campaign is submitted to the list or the group returns from MailChimp to Salesforce a new Salesforce campaign is created in Salesforce with opens, clicks, and bounce rates.
These tools capture all of your marketing metrics from MailChimp to Salesforce and store them in Salesforce forever. However, campaign members' metrics are synced to the new campaign, and not to the original one, synced to Salesforce that the MailChimp group created. Why is that so?
The term "campaign" means different things in MailChimp and Salesforce. In MailChimp, it refers to an email, while in Salesforce, it is a specific group within which you can add and remove people depending on your marketing preferences.
Adding email metrics to your prime Salesforce campaign makes little sense as the connector creates a new custom Salesforce tracking campaign that perfectly matches the recipients of the MailChimp email campaign.
Two original features are using Salesforce campaigns as an audience (MailChimp groups) or integrating tags for segmentation. For Salesforce campaigns, select “Would you like to track marketing metrics such as clicks, openings, returns to Salesforce from your campaign MailChimp?"
Option 1: Create MailChimp Groups Use Salesforce Campaigns
Any Salesforce campaign you select will be created as a group or tag in MailChimp Audience > My Groups category, which is automatically created by Connector > Groups.
You can let the connector automatically sync all active campaigns in Salesforce with MailChimp’s groups or tags, selecting no specific Salesforce campaigns in the first phase of your setup.
You need to create a test record In Salesforce, such as your email address, to send a test letter from MailChimp and connect that contact or lead to your Salesforce campaign. Also, you can add other contacts to which you want to send letters.
Use your email address field as this is the basis for creating and updating records. Other email address fields are not supported unless you use the Preferred field for an email address, such as Salesforce NPSP Edition.
After opening the Campaigns tab in your Salesforce account, create a Salesforce campaign. If this option doesn't appear, you'll need to join the Campaigns tab to your Salesforce navigation. Enter the test campaign in which you want to create a MailChimp group. Be sure to also mark it as “Active,” so that it appears as one of the profile settings in the connector. Then, add test records to your test campaign.
Option 2: Use Filtering And Segmentation To Groups Or Tags In MailChimp
If your organization doesn't use campaigns in Salesforce or you don't have a campaign feature in Salesforce, then, this is another workaround for segmenting records in MailChimp.
This works the same as sharing your Salesforce records in MailChimp since the group or tag is automatically generated in MailChimp.
The only difference is that you can't create a campaign in Salesforce manually. Instead, you just need to specify a contact or lead field that can be used as the basis for filtering specific entries that will sync with MailChimp. Once the Salesforce integration is connected, you can view the activity of MailChimp campaigns in Salesforce.
How To Use The Salesforce Query Builder
If you've already successfully completed the Salesforce integration and synced your data, you've added new contacts and updated their information in your MailChimp audience. Manual requests will also subjoin new contacts but will not update existing contact information. The Query Builder lets you send Salesforce leads, contacts, and campaigners to your MailChimp audience, who shares specific Salesforce field data.
Note: Salesforce contacts and prospects who check the email opt-out box will not be included in the query results.
If a lead or contact unsubscribes from Salesforce after you've added them to your MailChimp audience, they will remain in MailChimp. To view the tags for the MailChimp audience in Salesforce when you create your request, click “Sync Audience” next to the MailChimp audience name in Salesforce.
How To Create A Request
To manually create a request, follow these steps.
- Sign in to your Salesforce account, turn up the app launcher menu, and select “MailChimp for Salesforce.”
- Press “New Query” on the Query tab.
- Pick the audience and any interest groups or tags and click on “Next.”
- Choose the objects you want to include in your query and select filters for each object. Press “Next” to Previewing Query Results.
- If you want to make changes, press "Previous Step" or "Next" to continue.
- Enter a name for your request. The default audience name is today's date.
- If you are an administrator and want the request to run regularly, press “Run daily” in the drop-down menu and select the time to run the request.
- Press “Save” to save your changes and exit.
- Choose “Save & Run” to manually run the query.
How To Schedule And Run Automatic Requests
If you are a Salesforce admin, you can schedule queries to run at the same time every day, along with the data sync job.
- Open the MC Setup tab.
- In the Participant Requests tab, press “Schedule” next to the name of the request you want to edit.
- Choose the schedule option in the MailChimp member requests section.
- Click on “Run daily” in the menu and select the time to run the query.
- An example of filling in the MC query name and executing it daily at the time selected from the drop-down menu.
- Save your changes and schedule your request.
- Run Saved Query Manually.
Manual requests will allow you to add new contacts but won't update information. If you'd rather run the queries you create by yourself, you need to do the following.
- Go to the MC Setup tab.
- In the Participant Requests tab, press “Run Request” next to the name of the request you want to run.
- Then, click on “Run Request” in the MailChimp Member Requests section.
Each time a request is initiated, check for new leads or contacts that meet the request criteria and add all of them to your MailChimp audience.
Editing A Request
If you want to edit an existing query, do this:
- Open the MC Setup tab.
- In the Participant Requests tab, press “Edit” next to the name of the request you want to edit.
- Alter the interest groups or tags and choose “Next.”
- Edit the objects included in the query, select filters for each of them, and click on “Next.”
- Just click on "Save" if you want to fix your changes and exit. Select "Save and Run" to manually run the query.
Tips About Sync MailChimp And Salesforce
Before starting the integration, ask yourself this important question: why do you need email addresses in a CRM database? If you know who someone is and want them to become a contact, ask Salesforce to hand them over to MailChimp, as I described above. But what if MailChimp gives you an email and stores it in CRM, and you don't know if it's a passive subscriber or a bona fide lead? Then, add all contact names and surnames to MailChimp and other data that you can use to map to data in Salesforce.
Execute a data cleanup at least once a month, and if possible, more frequently, depending on the volume of your MailChimp subscriptions. Pay particular attention to events or campaigns that are causing a spike in registrations. Their processing will require additional administrative time. This also means that someone must be knowledgeable about data cleansing.
Describe the process that you've used to conduct the integration and post it where it is accessible to employees. Mark the days of data cleansing in the general calendar, with a note where the documentation for the process is located.
MailChimp Salesforce Integration Reviews
If you read Salesforce MailChimp integration reviews, you will find that many companies are very happy with how their email marketing campaigns’ optimization and how they view and manage customers’ data.
- “This was the best email marketing solution for our small non-profit organization. Once the app is uploaded to our Salesforce CRM, we can send professional emails that relate to our established contacts in our database, and the service availability and functionality are unmatched. Highly recommended!” Source
- “The MailChimp for Salesforce integration allowed us to easily transfer data between the two apps. We can see complete information about subscribers and their activity in MailChimp. The big benefit we're seeing is generating new leads and creating custom subscriber lists based on Salesforce fields.” Source
- “Our overall experience with Mailchimp has been positive. It synced well with our CRM and was accepted by the sales and service teams. We used Mailchimp to manage email marketing and in turn to generate leads and software demo requests. This turned out to be the right decision as we saw an increase in incoming leads every month during the first 12 month s of using Mailchimp. I would recommend Mailchimp Salesforce integration to other companies”. Source
Did you know that MailChimp users send approximately 10,800 emails every second through their platforms? And those are really high-quality emails. Now, imagine the benefits of combining MailChimp email marketing with the powerful analytics and functionalities of Salesforce Customer 360?
With MailChimp Salesforce integration, everyone can turn ad hoc interactions into ongoing conversations and convert loyal followers and guests into leads. This integration will help you sync campaign data for real-time updates and analytics. Interactive dashboards assist you in tracking clicks, openings, and subscribers’ activity in Salesforce, as well as generate campaign performance reports in real-time.
Looking into MailChimp SFDC integration to streamline your marketing efforts? Certified Salesforce partner Ergonized has solid experience in implementing similar processes. Therefore, if you do not know how to integrate MailChimp with Salesforce or have questions about synchronization, contact us. We will be more than happy to help you!