Pardot is a comprehensive marketing automation solution by Salesforce. It is a leading B2B platform that has proven its effectiveness in maximizing revenue through improving business processes. In other words, with Pardot on board, you can carry out comprehensive CRM integration and automate email marketing activities, lead generation and nurturing processes. The platform offers an impressive feature set that allows users to align marketing and sales teams by providing a common environment for all-sided lead monitoring, sales cycle optimization, and marketing analytics assessment.
Table of Contents
Basic Features of Pardot
Micro-level analytical tools allow the system to record the user activity on the website as accurately as possible. Analyzing the data received, you can detect which visitors are the most likely to pass into the "Prospects" category. To make this possible, Pardot has a database that stores website cookies containing all information on the visitor's behavior: when they started and ended the session, what they clicked on, where they performed no action, etc. All sorts of automation tools are also under the hood, such as segmentation and automation rules, dynamic lists, engagement campaigns, completion actions, etc.
Integrating Pardot with Salesforce CRM is all about linking sales and marketing together, which is why Pardot implementation services are vital for businesses. By ensuring streamlined processes between the two business departments, you get a seamless customer funnel with lead attraction at the top, lead nurturing in the middle, and closed deals at the bottom.
What does Pardot do? How often does Pardot sync with Salesforce?
In short, it builds bridges between all stages of the sales funnel, allowing marketers to track the entire process continuously. The Salesforce-Pardot connector serves as a tool that allows you to connect all the stages of turning a visitor into a prospect. At the nurturing stage, the primary information about the prospect goes to Pardot, after which it is passed on to Salesforce through the connector, and vice versa. Thus, your sales team will be 100% aware of the prospect's full marketing path, grade, score, and any other custom parameters synced with Salesforce. What else could you wish for to make an effective phone call?
Salesforce-Pardot Installation Guide
Before moving on to the process of installing the connector after getting started with Pardot, let’s learn more about some of the integration features.
Leads/prospects are synchronized individually, by CRM ID. However, if the IDs in Salesforce and Pardot are different, the system will identify prospects by the same email instead of the CRM ID. If there is no ID, the system is synchronized with records linked to the email address. If there are multiple records for the same email, Pardot detects the first record to sync with.
Activities and Emails
All the prospect’s activities, like views and clicks reflecting their behavior, are recorded and available for viewing in Salesforce. The emails can be configured in the page layout settings.
Updating prospect fields in Salesforce can activate Pardot's automation rules if such exist for some fields.
Automation Pardot Connector Setup
When all is more or less clear with the integration process, it's time to move on to installing the Salesforce connector. The first note to mention here is that only one Salesforce connector can be used in Pardot. Pardot and Salesforce integration through the connector can be broken down into two stages: connecting the two platforms and taking measures after the integration to make it as effective as possible. Let’s start with stage one.
Stage 1: Pardot Technical Setup Using the Connector
The stage of connecting the two platforms, Pardot and Salesforce, is carried out in the following steps:
- Installing the Pardot AppExchange. Before setting up the connector, you will need to install the AppExchange package by following the link (not directly). Then click Install and choose “Grant access to admins only” in the next step. Your Salesforce will be updated with a custom app, tab, and contact fields, which can be customized further to your needs.
- Assigning the user permission set. During this step, when the Pardot AppExchange app is installed, the connector user is granted permission to connect the two platforms. However, before moving on to assigning the user permission set, some other required permissions have to be checked: “View All Users/Setup and Configuration,” “Manage Profiles/Permission Sets,” and “API enabled.” When the above steps are complete, choose the user for the connection from the list and go to “Edit Assignments.” Next, select “Pardot Connector User” in the “Permission Sets” box, click “Add” and save the user.
- Adding the SFDC connector to connect Pardot to Salesforce:
• In Pardot, select “Admin” and go to “Connectors.”
• Select “Add Connector,” then choose “Salesforce” and click on the “Create Connector” button.
• In Salesforce, use the current user’s credentials to log in and grant access to your account by clicking “Allow.”
• Adjust connector settings (the default settings are still preferable at the start, though) and click the “Finish” button. The connector will be verified shortly, as soon as the data is sent to Salesforce and received back to Pardot.
After the Pardot installation, when Salesforce and Pardot are successfully connected, it's time to move on to the second stage.
Stage 2: Post-Integration Measures
At this stage, we optimize the connector's configuration in the following steps:
- Mapping custom lead fields to Salesforce contact fields. Perform this action to ensure all the Pardot lead data syncs to the contact record in Salesforce. However, it’s important to avoid mapping the Pardot URL lead and contact fields, which results in creating prospects’ duplicates. Follow this instruction based on Pardot documentation. Go to object management settings and look for “Map Lead Fields” in “Lead Custom Fields and Relationships.” Next, map the fields by clicking on the Contact tab and save the changes.
- Contact and lead page layout configuration. As you already know, before you install Pardot in Salesforce, you also set up the Pardot AppExchange. Among other possibilities, the app adds Visualforce pages and Pardot data to your Salesforce, but to make them visible, you need to add them to contact/lead page layouts on your own. In Salesforce, go to contact/lead page layout and edit it. Make custom fields visible on the page layout following the steps below:
• Add and name a section to the layout.
• Choose 2-column and go to the “Fields” section of the editor to relocate the Pardot’s custom fields.
• Drag the Pardot’s fields, as well as Google Analytics fields (if needed), to the new section.
- Adding list membership and activities to the layout. Add to the layout and name a section, choose 1-column, and go to “Visualforce Pages” in the editor. Next, add “List Membership,” “Social Data,” and “Activities” to the new section and save the changes.
- Adding custom buttons from Pardot to page layouts. With custom Pardot buttons, it is much easier to sync contacts/leads to Pardot instead of creating new prospect records (the "Send to Pardot" button). If you add the “Send Pardot Email” button, Pardot can automatically track emails sent from Salesforce. How to implement Pardot custom buttons:
• Go to the contact/lead page layout and edit it.
• Navigate to “Mobile & Lightning Actions” or “Buttons” (for classic).
• Select the above-mentioned custom buttons: “Send Pardot Email” and “Send to Pardot.”
• Drag the buttons of interest to the “Salesforce Mobile and Lightning Experience Actions” or the “Custom Buttons” (for classic). Save the page layout.
- Granting access to Pardot data. The Pardot permission set needs to be applied to all users expected to work with Pardot data. Look for “Permission Sets” at the Salesforce setup, then click Pardot > Manage Assignments > Add Assignments. Apply the permission set to the users and click the “Assign” button.
- Pardot and Salesforce user connection. Connecting users on both platforms will make it possible to identify employees under the same user ID. You can map users manually or streamline the process of managing all users in Salesforce by using Salesforce User Sync.
- Testing the Salesforce-Pardot configuration. After setting up the Pardot connector, be sure to test if it syncs correctly. How does Pardot work with Salesforce? There are two ways to test the connector's function depending on the account settings. Firstly, for accounts allowing the same email for multiple prospects:
• In Pardot, create a new prospect and assign to a user. Be sure to check if the record is shown in Salesforce.
• In Salesforce, create a new record and click the “Send to Pardot” button. Be sure to check if the same record is created in Pardot.
Secondly, for accounts where the same email for multiple prospects is not allowed:
• In Pardot, create a new prospect that is already recorded in the Salesforce CRM. Click the “Sync with CRM” button and wait to see if the connector starts the sync (about 10-15 minutes).
• In Pardot, create a new prospect with an email not recorded in your Salesforce yet. In Salesforce, add the same email for a new record, click the “Sync with CRM” button and wait to see if the connector starts the sync (about 10-15 minutes).
• In Pardot, create a new prospect with an email not recorded in your Salesforce yet. Assign the prospect to a user and check if the same record is displayed in Salesforce;
• In case your Pardot setup connector duplicates a record when it’s added to Salesforce, create a record in Salesforce with a new email and check if it is displayed in Pardot.
- The initial prospect syncing. When Pardot is successfully integrated into Salesforce and tested after following this Salesforce Pardot implementation guide, be sure to import your contacts/leads into Pardot. This is necessary because syncing Salesforce and Pardot contacts/leads requires the initial triggering. During future updates, all changes to records will be synced between the two platforms automatically. Keep in mind that importing via CRM ID is the only option if multiple prospects with the same email are allowed. In this case, prospects imported via email will create confusing duplicates in Salesforce.
Salesforce Pardot Marketing Automation: Conclusion
This Pardot Salesforce tutorial was drawn up based on the official implementation guide. You can use it to set up the connector correctly and sync leads, contacts, and prospects with the world’s leading CRM: Salesforce. How to access Pardot from Salesforce? How to install Pardot in Salesforce? We've tried to cover these basics and other questions that might arise when launching integration processes. The Ergonized team also provides comprehensive integration support, including marketing automation Pardot Salesforce services. Our experts know from experience how important it is to achieve seamless integration of marketing and sales departments for their smooth interaction. In-depth knowledge of both Pardot and Salesforce is what we have and what you need to make sure your marketing processes are personalized, unified, and automated at all levels of your business.