Pardot is an enterprise-grade marketing automation software that has built-in Salesforce CRM integration and has been designed with Salesforce native functionality in mind. It offers powerful tools to help sales and marketing teams to understand their target audience, close sales faster, find and nurture the best leads, and maximize ROI. Although technically the Pardot marketing automation platform is autonomous, it's much more convenient to use Pardot and Salesforce simultaneously. The combination of the two platforms enhances sales and marketing opportunities. With Pardot Salesforce becomes a full-spectrum marketing and sales CRM system.
Table of Contents
Top Pardot Benefits
How does Pardot work? Pardot is a complete solution that helps marketers create efficient connections, generate more sales channels, and close more B2B deals.
- Pardot Lead Scoring allows you to automatically track engagement leads and assign them to a sales rep. It improves the qualification process so that sales teams can focus only on prospective leads.
- Pardot cleverly automates email marketing and develops and maintains relationships with your leads. Using Journeys helps create an individual approach and is guaranteed to attract leads.
- Pardot allows you to refine and segment audiences to send personalized and targeted messages that interest and interact with your database. You will be able to track the movement of leads on the sales funnel and find "thin" spots through which customers are leaving.
- Pardot offers improved revenue tracking as well as marketing effort measurement with a Multi-Touch Attribution that shows you which campaign is performing better.
How Pardot & Salesforce Work Together - Align Your Sales and Marketing
The major goal of the Salesforce and Pardot integration is quality two-way information synchronization. As a result, when you update a record in CRM, data is automatically updated in the Marketing Automation and CRM systems. In this way, it brings sales and marketing into a single view. It provides data on lead activities, lead management tips, and any kinks in the sales funnel that could lead to losing leads.
Among other features, you can:
- Automatically assign new qualified leads to Salesforce.
- Segment your Pardot marketing database using the Salesforce information.
- Track and make visible actions of potential customers for your teams.
- Generate ROI reports for feedback campaigns.
How the Sync Works
- The visitor fills out a form on the company's website.
- Pardot builds a prospect's reputation.
- Next, marketers assign it to a salesperson or queue. This initiates a new lead in Salesforce and starts off the sales cycle. Pardot can be customized based on your needs, whether to create a contact or account.
- Lead updates, such as campaign membership, account linkage or opportunities, and contact conversion are synced to the lead's Pardot record, and the marketer gets a complete overview of the potential customer's status.
- When a deal closes, revenue is attributed to every touchpoint, which includes the first marketing contact, so that you can calculate the ROI for your feedback campaign.
Step-by-Step Pardot and Salesforce Integration Tutorial
There are three areas where Salesforce and Pardot collaborate the most: leads (also known as contacts), users, and fields. The Salesforce connector creates a link between the two platforms so that you can sync contacts, prospects, and leads between Pardot and Salesforce.
To sync Pardot and Salesforce, there are a few important steps before proceeding to the Pardot Salesforce integration guide:
- Install a Pardot AppExchange Package and it will automatically upgrade Salesforce with a custom app, tab, and fields for leads and contacts. Important: Test the configuration changes in the sandbox for Pardot before applying them to your production account.
- Configure the connector, assign it a user, and configure the parameters in Pardot.
- Set up interactions in both Pardot and Salesforce.
User management depends on the period when you’ve connected to Pardot. To sync accounts purchased before February 2019 use Connector v1, for accounts purchased after that date, Connector v2.
The Salesforce-Pardot Connector v1 Implementation Guide
The connector is cloud-based, meaning it retrieves data stored in the cloud. You can access the connector page in the Datacenter by clicking the cloud application in the toolbar at the top of the window. Appending a Salesforce connector to Pardot goes like this:
- Open the Connectors page.
- Select Admin and find Connectors in Pardot.
- Open Pardot Settings and find Connectors in the Lightning app.
- Pick + Add Connector.
- Choose Salesforce.
- Press Create Connector.
- Sign in to Salesforce with your connector user credentials.
- Once logged in, give access to an account by pressing Allow.
- Open the connector settings. Choose Finish.
When Pardot starts sending (or receiving) data to Salesforce, the connector is considered validated. After enabling the connector, Pardot regularly polls Salesforce for records that have been updated since the last sync. But if the record does not have an email address, it will simply be skipped.
A Connector Settings
Note that you can only connect the Salesforce instance to one Pardot account, which must be associated with a Salesforce license with an API credential set. This will allow Pardot to sync with contacts, Salesforce custom and default fields, and more.
Creating a "connector" requires defining a "connector user". This could be an administrator or user who accesses the permission controls and gives Pardot access to Salesforce, or an auto-generated Pardot Integration User. This is crucial because Pardot only syncs data that the connector user sees.
The Pardot Salesforce connector will not automatically migrate all of your records from Salesforce to Pardot. When installing Pardot for the first time, you must import the Salesforce data. To do this, run your leads and contacts report in Salesforce and add your CRM ID (contact or lead ID) and email address to the report. This ensures that no duplicate entries appear in Pardot.
Before you unplug the connector and begin syncing data with Salesforce, there are a few more things to configure:
By linking your Pardot and Salesforce campaigns, you gain access to valuable product-specific features. Plus, you can work with Pardot leads and data in Salesforce.
Define rules for the exchange of marketing data
If you are using Pardot Advanced or Premium, you can determine what data you need to sync with Salesforce objects. You can prepare marketing data sharing like this:
- Head to Pardot Settings and find the Connectors section.
- Click the gear to change the settings and then choose Marketing Data Exchange.
- Open and configure a rule.
- Save amendments.
Salesforce-Pardot Connector v2 Implementation Guide
The Pardot Salesforce connector v2 was released especially to new Pardot users in 2019. Version 2 offers a business unit switcher, on-demand metadata sync, and Pardot user integration.
It is created in a suspended state. The Pardot administrator must configure the connector and resume it. To start data synchronization in Pardot integration Salesforce:
- Bring up the Salesforce connector page.
- Choose Admin in Pardot and find Connectors. Click on the Salesforce connector and choose Edit.
- Click on Pardot Settings and then Connectors In the Lightning.
- Select Change Settings again.
- Check the connector settings.
- To start sync, select Unpause on the icon.
Configure your Salesforce Account
When you make a new lead in Pardot that doesn't have a matching Salesforce record, Pardot will make a new lead for that lead. However, if you convert to Pardot that results in contact in Salesforce, the record might not include all the data from the lead. Mapping ensures that Salesforce data is successfully transferred to the contact record.
Important: Do not match the Pardot Lead URL field with the Pardot URL Contact field. Otherwise, you will create duplicate leads.
To map lead fields to contact fields in Salesforce:
- Open the Settings menu and choose Object Manager.
- Select Lead.
- Click on Fields and Relationships.
- Choose Match Fields of Interest.
- Select the Contact tab.
- For fields starting with Google Analytics and Pardot, select the appropriate contact fields from the drop-down list.
- When all the desired fields have been matched, click Save. The Contact tab on the Custom Fields page displays Google Analytics fields of interest mapped to corresponding Google Analytics contact fields.
Adding Pardot Info to Leads and Contacts Page Layouts
The Pardot app autoconfigures the Pardot fields in Salesforce but doesn't display them by default. You will have to edit some Salesforce settings to display these fields.
The first step is to make a Pardot section in the lead and contact page layouts that include all of the Pardot fields. This can be done in the following way:
- Still in the Object Browser, choose Lead, after Page Layouts.
- Pick the down arrow to the right of the lead layout and select Edit.
- Drag a section with the drag-drop layout editor to the lead layout page.
- The Section field is the first field in the Fields table. In the pop-up window, in the Section Name field, enter Pardot.
- Ensure that the checkboxes are selected to display section headings on both the detail page and the edit page.
- Pick two columns for the number of columns.
- Choose Left-Right for the order of the tab keys.
- Press OK.
- Come back to the Fields section in the Page Layout Editor and go down to the right to find Pardot custom fields.
- Pull all Pardot fields to the new section.
- Press Save.
- Further, navigate to Object Manager | Contacts | Page Layouts and reiterate the above steps for the contact page layout. The master page layout page will show the available Pardot fields. If you have Pardot fields in Lead and Contact page layouts, you can append a new section for Pardot Actions, List Memberships, and Social Data to access that data in your Salesforce account.
- Pull the new section to the page layout.
- Enter Forgiveness Actions In the Section Title box.
- Clear the checkboxes for the section titles.
- Select one column. Press OK and Save.
- Go down in the layout editor and click Visualforce Pages.
- Pull Pardot Actions, Pardot List Membership, and Pardot Social Data to the Pardot Actions section.
- Click on Save Pardot Actions and Pardot Social Data in Lead Page Layout.
- Adding Pardot buttons to Salesforce Layouts
- Click on Object Manager | Campaign | Buttons, Actions, and Links.
- Choose New Button or Link.
- Navigate to the Label field, enter Add to Pardot List.
- Click a tab to automatically make a custom field ID.
- In the Description field, enter "Add a contact or lead to the Pardot list".
- Choose the detail page button as the display type.
- Select Display in Existing Window with Sidebar from the Behavior drop-down list.
- Pick a URL from the Content Source drop-down list.
- Paste the following code into the syntax box:
- Don’t forget to save the changes.
- Add the finished button to your lead and contact page layouts. You can segment leads in Salesforce and sync them with a new or existing list in Pardot by adding a button to a Salesforce campaign object.
- Select Object Manager | Campaign | Page Layouts.
- Click the down arrow next to the campaign layout, then select Edit.
- Select Buttons in the page layout editor. Drag the Add to Pardot List button to the Custom Buttons field inside Campaign Details.
- Click Save.
Configure your Pardot Account
After installing the Pardot package and configuring the Salesforce connector, you need to map Salesforce custom fields with Pardot custom fields and sync them. Here's how:
- In Pardot, go to Admin | Customize Fields | Fields Avenue.
- Select + Add Custom Field.
- Input an internal name for the custom field.
- Click on Tab to automatically make a custom field ID.
- Input tags, if applicable.
- Choose the Salesforce.com field name with which you wish to sync the Pardot field.
- Open the corresponding settings.
- Pick Sync Behavior.
- Application of Most Recently Updated Record offers bi-directional synchronization between Pardot and Salesforce.
- Choose the Type of field you want to create.
- Change additional settings if necessary.
- Push on Create Custom Field.
Technically, Pardot in Salesforce can sync with just about any field or custom object that is visible to the user of your connector, but you shouldn't sync all of them. Choose only custom fields and objects that are crucial to your B2B marketing efforts. Excessive data clutters your lead records.
With solutions such as Pardot and Salesforce, you have the opportunity to converge marketing and sales and consequently increase your ROI through all optimized funnels. With Pardot, marketers ensure that they are accountable for the quality of leads sent to sales and the sales team can use marketing data and company assets to close more deals.
Using Sfdc Pardot boosts your marketing and business initiatives to the next level if the merger is done effectively. For successful integration, we recommend you hire an experienced Salesforce consultant or a certified consultant like Ergonized.
If you are unsure how to integrate Pardot with Salesforce into your company marketing workflow or need help with an already integrated solution, please contact us. Ergonized will be your reliable guide and partner in everything related to Pardot to Salesforce integration.