Salesforce Job Market Research: Vacancies and Salaries
It’s been almost 20 years now since Salesforce was launched in 1999 and it proceeds its steady development offering more and more products adapting to the business needs that were transforming throughout these years. With appearing in various ranking systems as the most popular CRM system, and increasing its functionals to decently meet the challenges of the modern world, its capacities do not end with purchasing the license and start operating.
Thus, we conducted market research of vacancies revealing all the information about the demand for Salesforce experts and its job market tendencies for Salesforce industry. In order to make sure that the received data are not spoiled by some seasonal events, holiday periods, etc it was decided to take 2019, a complete calendar year as the timeline of our analysis. This statistical research is based on the overview of 50 000 Linkedin vacancies. Taking into account that the majority of companies of any size use this platform to find specialists who would work for their project, using the data collected from the proposals and profiles shared there, enabled us to receive detailed information on what are the demands and offers for Salesforce experts and companies that require services related to Salesforce products.
Is Salesforce Still in Demand?
Apart from proudly bearing the title of number one in the industry of service provisioning, Salesforce also creates a separate job market niche for people throughout the technology and marketing world. The more the company develops, the more opportunities for people who know how to work with it in a way that takes any business to a new level. And it is not about working as a representative of the Salesforce company, it's about understanding its foundations and making the most of it.
Taking into account its spread to all the possible industries and the personnel capabilities that make it impossible for the one company to manage and support all its users, it started to provide education to its users and people who will be managing it. Moreover, there are even official certifications that confirm the proficiency levels issued directly by Salesforce so that third-party companies are officially entitled to operate on Salesforce behalf in terms of development meaning that a person who obtained the certificate proved his or her knowledge to the Salesforce organization. To become a Salesforce specialist, it's required to possess a specific skill set based on the understanding of system pecularities that is why before entering this field many newbies start with the research of their main question: 'Is Salesforce still in demand?'
Exploring the new market emergence, there is even its own hierarchy of positions and the requirements to them, it is easy to get lost for people who are just starting their careers in informational technologies searching for the best development opportunities, and even easier for those who know nothing about Salesforce and needs to adopt it for a company. One more objective of this research is to understand the Salesforce jobs salary rates and how they vary depending on the position.
The insights obtained from gathering and processing this information can be checked in the next paragraphs.
Salesforce Vacancies by specialization
In order to understand the principles of Salesforce interaction dive deeper into the matter of what experts are in high demand for companies that require Salesforce specialists. And the distribution by area of specialization is the following:
It’s not a surprise that among all the positions, the demand for developers is the highest. From the 50 000 analyzed vacancies, more than 38 000 are related to Salesforce developer jobs.
Salesforce Developer Demand
ln the Salesforce job market, the generally accepted hierarchy of developer’s qualification levels is applicable. The career path usually looks as follows: a person starts with the Junior level, then with the experience comes the Middle one. And to become a Senior developer, it takes acquiring full expertise in the specialization field and adjacent ones. The final step is an Architect, which apart from all other mentioned qualifications requires an understanding of the application infrastructure. The demand for Salesforce developers of different levels is illustrated on the diagram below:
In this study, we include the average salary for a Salesforce developer in the USA. It’s clear that the Salesforce developer salary depends on the qualification level of a given specialist. 19,5% of the job postings mentioned that companies look for Junior developers. It’s the entry-level position, so here the requirements and respectively the salary is the lowest compared to other specials in the industry. An entry-level Salesforce developer salary starts from $55 000 per year. The next level is Middle and 43.9% of vacancies indicate that they look for more experienced specialists. Expectedly, the expertise requirements are higher. Thus, is the salary. It varies from $75 000 to $120 000 per year. To become a senior specialist, it is required to have several years of relevant experience and solid Apex coding skills. Moreover, to occupy this position, a person should be acquainted with the full application development cycle and take into account the nuances of complicated business logic and business workflows. But with the greater responsibility comes the higher reward and the salaries. The Salesforce senior developer salary ranges between $100 000 and $140 000 per year. On a project, there is enough to have 1-2 senior specialists, that are why the demand for them is lower and corresponds to 22.8%
The next and the highest step on the hierarchy is the Salesforce solution architect or Salesforce application architect. This is a person who designs the application design architecture and makes the most important decisions related to the security standards. Not many developers are ready to step in the architect role as apart from the advanced technical skills and knowledge in the adjacent spheres. Salesforce architect salary is considered the highest compared to other specialists in this field. The average Salesforce solution architect salary is $ 200 000 per year. Concerning the technical architect salary, the offered rates are similar.
Salesforce Administrator (16.3%)
The next most popular work in the Salesforce sphere is Salesforce Administrator. These people are deeply knowledgeable in the Salesforce сore functionality and deal with Salesforce opportunity management in terms of integrating various functionalities into a Salesforce instance. They help people to manage their Salesforce applications, configuration services, running regular backups, examining and debugging errors that affect smooth work. 16.3% or 7016 vacancies are waiting for the right candidates for covering this position. SFDC Admin jobs offer full-time, part-time and freelance employment options. Depending on the type, it is more common to observe the differences in salaries. For instance, the Salesforce administrator hourly rate on freelance will be lower than for full-time employees in most cases. But on average, entry level Salesforce Admin salary starts at $45 000 per year and goes up to $110 000 for admins with advanced level skills.
Salesforce Consultant ( 5.5%)
One more popular job if you look at Salesforce opportunities is Salesforce consultant. Their main task is to dive deep into the specifics of clients’ businesses and help them find the best Salesforce solutions and deliver further enhancement as well as Salesforce CRM consulting services. When searching for consulting partners, it is recommended to choose certified specialists. If a company is a registered consulting partner Salesforce can entitle it with a right for some special product prices, so you receive a double win here: high quality and a chance to save your budget. In attempts to find a Salesforce consultant, companies choose either full-time employees or give preference to freelancers.
How much can you make as a Salesforce consultant?
The Salesforce consultant cost for a local employee will be much higher than the investments put into a part-time freelance specialist. Regardless of the company's choice, it’s necessary to check whether people who offer their services are officially certified. As for the salary, Salesforce consultant rates depend on their qualification level. The Salesforce consultant salary varies from $81,117 to $100,978 per year.
With the appearance of the new interface called Lightning, more and more already adopted CRM systems started switching to it, thus the experts in Lightning development are becoming more popular. The salary depends on the Salesforce specialization and starts at $89,135 a Salesforce Administrator while for Salesforce lightning developer salary rates start at $116,894 per year. Moreover, Salesforce Developer Lightning experience is valued on the market, so there are higher chances of getting a job offer for the specialists who are acquainted with Lightning pecularities.
People who specialize in Salesforce marketing Cloud and are working in a bit narrower niche than general administrators are also in demand for companies that search for ways to boost their sales results. Annual incomes for fulfilling these positions start from approximately $42,737 per year for a Salesforce Marketing Automation Consultant salary to $89,135 for specialists who are ready to provide a broader spectrum of services.
Many companies look for specialists in Salesforce CPQ as a separate position to help set up specific rules triggering matching the conditions applicable for this or that client so that the most precise quotes can be given to the right customers. On average certified Salesforce CPQ salary specialists start from $46,677 per year.
This vacancy meets 366 times throughout the search making it the least searched specialists making it less than 1%. Since it is a bit broader description, usually in the job posting that company searches for the Administrator or a manager who will be acquainted with Salesforce operating principles. In some cases people require a specialist for Salesforce project management. The salary rates in the found vacancies fluctuate around $70 000 for annual payment. Because of these discrepancies, it does not set up the job trends in the industry.
This data provides a clear understanding of what specialization fields are the most popular and where the demand is not so high. But what about the industries where these specialists will be required?
Salesforce vacancies distribution by industry
Any business is aimed at building quality relationships with their potential and existing customers as winning a customer is a primary goal to ensure prosperity. And that’s what a CRM is intended to do. Being a number one CRM, it’s clear that Salesforce is focused not only on providing one-fits-all solutions but takes into account all the spheres that will be using these solutions. Based on the variety of products and salesforce case management research, it can be stated that it has covered all possible business spheres and even above them: starting from the financial sector and ending with the health care system, Salesforce provides all the necessary functions to operate any business. Majority companies find Salesforce service management seamless while others choose this solution for its flexibility in terms of integrations. Nevertheless, there are some tendencies in adopting the system. The industries leaders searching for Salesforce specialists in 2019 are the following:
- Information Technology (52.1%). Including but not limited to Computer Software, Computer & Network Security and other related sub-fields, it takes more than half of all industries engaged in using Salesforce for workflow management and takes the first place in our rate. It can be explained by the rapid growth of technologies and the presence of IT departments in almost all businesses.
- The financial sector (10.5 %). The second place by the percentage of Salesforce users is taken by the financial industry. Organizations related to Insurance, Banking, Investment Management are inclined to turn to Salesforce, as its Financial Services Сloud covers all the needs related to finance management.
- Telecommunications sector (5.6%). Including different providers of communications such as telephony, broadcasting, radio technologies, and related fields, it takes third place in the top industries list. Depending on the business model, various Salesforce products are used for this sphere as well as for general information technology starting from the Service Cloud to MuleSoft for custom integrations.
- Healthcare industry (5.4%). The next popular industry group is composed of Healthcare-related organizations. Various private and public entities such as hospitals, laboratories, medical offices and even big pharmaceutical companies start using Salesforce Health Cloud, as it helps to achieve a 360-degree customer view, and if it goes about the patients, the outcome is even greater than just earning a loyal customer, as seeing all the info helps to see the health history and prescribe the correct treatment.
- Marketing & Advertising (2.5%). Fifth place in the rate of the industries that use Salesforce is taken by the Marketing sphere. It’s not a coincidence as regardless of the sphere your company operates in, it’s more than 90% that it will need marketing for its services. So various Advertising agencies and research companies are not only growing in number but start using Salesforce more often because of its variety of marketing tools and process automation. Many of the companies highlight convenient territory management Salesforce provides. Among the special products recommended for these purposes, Salesforce offers Pardot and Marketing Cloud.
- Management consulting (2.3%). Despite being a relatively new field, organizations working in consulting and management state that due to using Salesforce products including but not limited to the Salesforce CPQ and Community Cloud. Considering CPQ Salesforce pricing compared to the analogs, it’s a worthy investment according to the representatives of the consulting field. The performance and results achieved utilizing the Salesforce data are much higher than their results using another CRM or not using it at all.
- Manufacturing (2.2 %). This industry experienced many transformations throughout its history and to be in step with modern tendencies, the representatives of this sector start using Manufacturing Cloud to optimize the working processes, track the performance and receive clear number records. With the help of Salesforce, Manufacturing can optimize its operations, set up smooth B2B interactions and many more.
- Engineering (2.1%). Representatives of Engineering companies interested in accuracy in performance and data can utilize the power of salesforce in a similar way that the Manufacturing industry makes their processes time and cost-effective, monitoring the activity. And even predict the results easier based on the clean statistical analysis and customized dashboards.
- Education (1.8%). Including E-learning, Secondary and Tertiary educational institutes, private learning programs in all spheres choose Salesforce. It makes the life of students and professors easier through various collaborative learning tools and monitors students through all their learning period via the help of Education Cloud.
- Real estate (1.4%). With the help of Salesforce CRM, real estate agents can ensure faster response time, set up a centralized database to provide customers with the relevant data and automation that allows pre-filling details based on the clients’ profiles to make the property search easier and more effective.
- Non-profit organizations (1.2%). Salesforce for Nonprofits, also known as NPSP helps organizations to manage their charity activity better by having a complete view on their missions, manage donations and see the value from a good cause they do.
There are many more emerging and existing sectors such as Salesforce Hospitality industry, Consumer goods and services, Entertainment, Media sector, versatile public, and private Social Organizations, Art sector, Governmental bodies, travel system, wholesale and retail of goods, and others.
2020 Career Trends and Further Salesforce Jobs Market Development
That being said, we can see that the Salesforce products and qualified specialists who can support it proceed to increase as well as companies that adopt this CRM system. Based on the general trends on the job market we expect that the industry of Salesforce experts along with SFDC jobs will be growing at a faster pace throughout 2020 and the next upcoming years covering not only developer positions but also consulting and administration ones.
Is Salesforce worth learning?
If you are still pondering over the questions 'Are there enough jobs using Salesforce technologies?' or 'Will I get employed after getting a Salesforce certification?' to ensure that your time investments profitable, don’t worry. Salesforce future market expansion is going not only to create opportunities for salesforce specialists but create a higher demand for existing experts from adjacent fields to look for the development in the Salesforce direction.