Understanding Types & Allocations of Salesforce Data Storage
Convenient data storing and tracking is essential for successful business management. And this is where data storage powers offered by Salesforce excel. The cloud-based Salesforce system is a widely used, cost-efficient, high-performance solution that numerous companies on the market have tried and tested. It helps keep businesses afloat and even boosts profits with proper data maintenance.
The system is ranked among the leaders in SaaS services for businesses of various sizes. It is a highly configurable, secure, and scalable structure with a full range of features.
What Are the Salesforce Data Storage Types?
Salesforce offers two major types of cloud storage:
- File Storage - for files in attachments, on the main page, content, users’ photos, document tabs, articles
- Data Storage - for saving accounts, advertising campaigns, cases, contacts, custom objects, events, emails, tasks, Google documents, etc.
Data Storage vs. File Storage Salesforce
As was mentioned above, the data storage capacity for Salesforce in Contact Manager, Group, Essentials, Professional, Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited editions is 10 GB. 10.2 GB is allocated for the Professional Edition with 10 users.
As for the file storage, its size is determined by the user license:
- Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited licenses provide 2 GB each;
- Standard Contact Manager, Group, and Professional Edition licenses provide 612 MB each plus 512 MB for Salesforce CRM Content.
In any case, the user gets an additional 512 MB regardless of the connection to Salesforce CRM Content.
In more detail, here’s what you get with different Salesforce software editions:
Salesforce Data Storage Calculation
Salesforce admins and users need to understand how much cloud storage they need to migrate the company data. Here is the estimation:
- Each new entry (note, report, contract, quote, etc.) will take up 2KB of storage memory.
- Each user account or article requires 4KB.
- Each company object requires 8 KB.
Example: 50,000 clients require at least 2 GB of cloud storage.
Data Storage Salesforce Pricing
You can see the yearly prices for starter packs on the official Salesforce website.
A group plan will cost up to $25 per user. At the same time, you get the ability to route, evaluate customers and their potential, and work with emails.
The cost of cloud storage does not depend on the number of records. Salesforce will run at the same speed for 1000 as it will for 10,000,000 records. You don't need to fret about technical issues such as your server's RAM. The more users, the faster the Salesforce services work!
Salesforce Additional Data Storage Costs
Support for additional cloud storage in blocks of 50 or 500 MB costs up to $125 monthly. Another option is to rent 1 GB of storage for $5 per month. The best option is an annual license.
Implementing Salesforce can cost between $5,000 and $80,000. 24/7 IT support during the entire time of using the cloud storage costs at least 15% of the license price. For example, if you get the Professional Edition, the service will cost around $11.25.
The adaptation of the service for mobile devices may also require additional expenses. For this, you will need to involve a professional application developer ($50,000- $250,000). It's relatively inexpensive to build your own app using the Salesforce App Cloud builder, but don't expect a user-friendly interface.
Salesforce Data Storage Location
Salesforce understands the importance of providing the highest standards of service to cloud users. Thus, the company introduced the principle of processing data from two separate locations:
- The first location is for operational service.
- The second location is a backup location for an online replication of all transactions.
The locations are switched during maintenance or for emergency system recovery. The geography of the data centers’ location covers North America, Western and Northern Europe, Australia, and Japan.
Data Storage Limit Exceeded Error in Salesforce
If you encounter a data storage limit exceeded error in Salesforce, this is a signal that your company has exceeded its storage limit. Check the limit by going to Your name -> Settings -> System overview. To solve the problem, you need to either increase the size of your cloud storage or remove unnecessary data.
If your data storage limit exceeded Salesforce, there are several options for optimizing the cloud space at your disposal.
Manual removal of unnecessary data:
- Salesforce is a feature available to all cloud storage users. With its help, you can, individually or en masse, delete not only accounts but also contacts, interests, and requests that have lost their importance.
- ETL (Extract Transform Loading). This is the standard Salesforce data loader, supported by the Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer versions, as well as by various paid third-party tools such as Dataloader.io, Informatica, and JitterBit.
Automatic removal of unnecessary data. Use Storage Helper, a unique app with free, paid, and premium versions.
Salesforce Data Storage Email Messages
The standard data storage for Contact Manager, Group, Essentials, Professional, Enterprise, Performance, and Unlimited editions is 10 GB.
For companies, the size of file storage is allocated in accordance with the selected license and the number of licensed users. To increase your file storage limit or to store large objects, you may need to either change the license type or contact Salesforce.
Salesforce Data Storage Best Practices
Build your Salesforce cloud storage management strategy around the following principles:
- Don't use non-CRM data in Salesforce.
- Large objects need data optimization.
- Merge or integrate those that are not CRM related.
- Try to archive your data to reduce the volume. This will improve performance and reduce the cost of using the cloud storage service.
Develop a process for documenting and managing releases. Company employees should use corporate standards in their work.
Salesforce Big Objects Data Storage
The Big Objects function in Salesforce is not limited by a company's storage. There are two types of large objects:
- This is an object included in Salesforce functionality and supported by the service by default. For example, FieldHistoryArchive, which provides history tracking and auditing of fields throughout the year.
- To create such an object, an object file is created with API metadata - a definition, fields, and if necessary, a set of permissions.
How to Check Data Storage in Salesforce
The verification procedure is simple:
- Sign in to your Salesforce admin account.
- Click Settings in the upper corner of the page.
- Go to Admin > Data Management > Storage Usage.
Then see how the capabilities of the cloud storage of data and files are being used and, if necessary, start deleting irrelevant data.
Pro Tip - How to Optimize Your Salesforce Org
Use Salesforce Optimizer in Professional, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, and Developer Editions to solve data overload issues. This app parses and provides a PDF sorted list in Lightning Experience and Salesforce Classic (available not for all organizations). This helps to identify problems that need immediate resolution.
The Salesforce Optimizer user can run a check with this application in any mode. Follow these steps:
- In Settings, click Quick Search and select Optimizer.
- Turn on the optimizer by allowing access if you haven't done it yet.
- Decide if the app should launch and update automatically.
Depending on the amount of information in your company, optimization can take up to 24 hours. You will find out the result of the optimization by clicking the notification or checking the settings.
If you have any questions about how to install or use the already installed Salesforce, please contact us online on our website or request a callback. We are always ready to provide assistance in organizing and improving your online business process management system.